Michael LoMonico is the author of That Shakespeare Kid, and The Shakespeare Book of Lists. He is the Senior Consultant on National Education for the Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, DC. He speaks about Shakespeare and leads teacher workshops across the country. It is his goal to change the way that Shakespeare is taught in this country, and so far he has taught Shakespeare courses and workshops for teachers and students in 38 states as well as in Canada and England. He has also worked online with teachers in Argentina, Romania, South Africa, and Russia.
He was an assistant to the editor for the curriculum section of all three volumes of the Folger’s Shakespeare Set Free series, published by Washington Square Press.
Michael is an accomplished teacher and taught graduate and undergraduate courses at Stony Brook University. He taught high school English on Long Island for 33 years.
Selected Speaking and Consulting
- Shakespeare Teaches Teachers, Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) 2001-present
- Shakespeare in Paradise workshop, Nassau Bahamas, October 2017
- Visiting Professor, Fairfield University, April 2017
- First Folio Workshop, Emory University, November 2016
- “First Folio Workshop” The Morgan Library, June 2016
- BAM Shakespeare Conference, April 2016
- Flyspecks and the First Folio, University of Northern Colorado, March 2016
- Flyspecks and the First Folio, Billings, Montana, October 2015
- Professional Learning Day, Williamsville, NY, September 2015
- Professional Development Workshop, The Chapin School, NYC, April 2015
- Workshop at Shakespeare Association of America, Toronto, CA, March 2013
- Shakespeare Works When Shakespeare Plays, Featured Presenter, UC Davis, January 2013
- Shakespeare Uncovered, National Education Advisory Board, WNET, December 2012
- World's Together Conference, London, UK, September 2012
- Shakespeare: Words & Actions, Alberta, Canada Schools, October 2012
- Shakespeare 101 at the Greene Space, Host of radio show, WNYC, June 2012
- Core Knowledge Conference, September 2011.
- Stand Up for Shakespeare at the Greene Space, WNYC, August 2011.
- Shakespeare: Sources and Adaptations, Cambridge University, UK. September 2011
- Teaching Shakespeare Weekend, University of Northern Colorado, April 2011
- Shakespeare Set Free. California Lutheran University, August 2010
- Shakespeare Theater Association, Globe Theater in London, January 2010
- Stratford Shakespeare Festival, Stratford, Ontario, October 2009 and 2010.
- Georgia Council of Teachers of English, Keynote Speaker, 2008
- Minnesota Council of Teachers of English, Keynote Speaker, 2006
- Shakespeare and Media: A Technology Workshop
- The English-Speaking Union of the United States Associate Director of Education, 2001-2005
- Westchester Teacher Center/College of New Rochelle, taught graduate courses, 1994-1997
- The Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival
- The Shakespeare Theater of New Jersey
- The Philadelphia Shakespeare Festival
- Region VIII Texas Schools
- Greenville SC Schools
- Kentucky Shakespeare Festival